Tossignano, Borgo Tossignano (BO), ph. M.Maccarelli

Borgo Tossignano

Parco della Vena del Gesso

The meaning of the name "Borgo Tossignano" can reconnect to the word "Tuscia", which evokes an ancient Roman gens or proximity to Tuscany, or can be derived from the words "Thau" (cross) and "Signum" (sign), for a cross placed on top of the hill, was founded in 1198 by some residents of Tossignano.

In the background of the wars between Guelphs and Ghibellines, the inhabitants of Tossignano were occupied by Imola, who destroyed the country and deported the people to Fontanelice. Until 1500 the country was under the influence of the papacy and, for another two centuries, it became the rule of various lords; Borgo Tossignano then returned to be part of the Papal States until the proclamation of the Kingdom of Italy.

It consists of two settlements: Borgo, in the valley, is a place of Villanovans discovery that became the capital city; Tossignano, built around the remains of the feudal castle, now is the natural base for discovering the "Vena del Gesso" . The origins of Tossignano are not documented with certainty. Many scholars date it to the fifth century, but some artifacts could date them even in earlier times.

On the hills of Tossignano stood a fortress, with the overthrow in 1537 by Pope Paul III Farnese. Currently Tossignano is a fraction of the main village at the base of the hill. A Tossignano inborn, Pope John X, who was on the papal throne between 914 and 928, enjoyed good relations with Theodora during his archbishopric in Ravenna, and very probably that fact lead to his election as pontiff.

Unfortunately, his reign ended in a tragic way: as a result of lifting, he was deposed, imprisoned and strangled. During the II World War, Tossignano counted many fallen and was almost completely destroyed. (Cit. from "Atlas Romagnolo" - Il Resto del Carlino)